Monday, March 21, 2011

The Museum of Me

I found this article VERY interesting and well-written. I would like to answer the question that asks, "How does the Internet MEDIATE these people's work or social relationships?"

The answer to this question is directly related to a paragraph on page 642 of Ullmen's article. The internet removes the physical mediator from our lives. Where we use to need a travel agent, real-estate agent, insurance agent, sales clerk or even teacher, the internet has now replaced that. The internet is now the mediator and we take on those roles for ourselves. I recently went to Las Vegas for a weekend and used a site I had never used to find a great deal on a hotel. I did this instead of using a travel agent or even picking up my phone to call for prices of a hotel. I found a great deal and had a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't it make you wonder how we ever lived without the Internet? As soon as I have a question of any kind, my first thought is, "Well, I'll just go Google it!" And I'm rarely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so convenient to not have to have physical intermediaries anymore. I can't imagine going to 14 different hotels before finally deciding which one to stay at!

    ReplyDelete